We usually call Diwali is a Festival of Light... that give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself. Diwali and Deepavali is a significant festival in Hinduism, Sikhism and Jainism which means Deep (light) avali (rows), a row of lights that taught us to vanquish ignorance that subdues humanity and to drive away darkness that engulfs the light of knowledge. Deepavali is also celebrated by Buddhists of Nepal. The story behind diwali is- It was a dark, moonless night when Lord Ram, the banished king of Ayodhya returned home along with his wife, Sita after having vanquished the demon, Ravan (King of Lanka who had abducted Sita) and having completed 14 years in exile.
To honour and rejoice the homecoming of their king, the people of his kingdom lit his path with oil lamps to guide him on his way. Thus began the tradition of decorating homes and public spaces with earthenware oil lamps ( Diwali or Deepavali which means ‘rows of lights/lamps’.) to mark the triumph of good over evil, light over darkness and the five day celebration came to be known as
If we are saying that it is a festival of good over evil, so why are we spoiling our life and our environment on this special day? Even we are inviting the evil by using crackers. We use a large number of crackers for our happiness, but we forget that these crackers affect our environment as well as our life. We should enjoy Diwali without using Crackers because it may cause of these things…..
1. They cause air pollution. A research said that air pollution goes up by 30% during Diwali.
2. It takes time for the harmful gases to go away. If there is no rain and proper wind, the harmful gases take longer time to get cleared.
3. Sulphur Dioxide, Nitrous Oxides and many other harmful gases are released because of crackers causing respiratory problems and diseases. You definitely don’t want to inhale them.
4. You are helping to increase global warming.
5. Noise pollution: Crackers create high decibel sound and most people feel numbness in the ears after bursting crackers. It can also make you deaf.
6. Garbage disposal is a perennial problem in India but crackers just add to the existing problem.
7. We feel enjoyable but have you ever think about them who can’t explain about their pain. The animals, who are most affected by crackers.
8. Not only animals but we also trouble our beloved one like small baby, pregnant lady and old age people.
9. Are you aware about one fact? That under-age kid makes crackers. And with this you are also promoting child labour.
10. People also get injured by making crackers. And as mention above that who is making crackers.
11. Most of the time they cause fire. Seriously isn’t it obvious that fire crackers cause fire. Still we are using them.
12. Deep (light) avali (rows) means a row of lights, not row of high noise making crackers. Celebrate it by lighting lamps and distributing sweets and presents.
13. We are not burning crackers but we are burning our health our environment and our money.
14. Seriously now a day’s burning expensive crackers is a symbol of status. That’s why we burn rupees in crore on this occasion.
15. Most of the time we said that we are religious; we can’t tolerate a single word about our religion and about our God. Still we burning our money that we call Laxmi, and there is so many crackers whose rapper hold our God Goddess picture.
So kindly avoid crackers, there is much more things to do, much more to give you happiness. Just make sure that your happiness does not cause of someone life. I hope the light of Diyas brightens up not only your homes but also your hearts..